Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Are you ready for being a PhD candidate?

Well, this question has bothered me for a long time since I applied for gradeuate schools. I always ask myself "what do I want?"

Honestly, I have no idea what the hell am I doing here.... UM is the last one I applied because I couldn't log in Purdue's stupid online application system. Since it's only a substitute I've never thought I'll come here. However, life is always unpredictable...

Am I here to prove that I'm smart enough to get a PhD? Try to escape from that god damn boring city-Hsinchu? Or maybe I'm here just because I want to test my endurance and the bottom limit before becoming insane. The only thing I'm 100% sure is I HATE research!! The more research I do the more I dislike it. I finally understand it's impossible for me to become a research oriented professor. Why? it's simple...I can't suffer that you've always gotton to think something new and written a lengthy proposal in order to get funding. It's definitely going to kill me.

So...why am I here since I don't want a academic job?? Ha...I already told you I don't know; nevertheless, one thing I am sure about is I never regret for coming to Ann Arbor. I learned a lot during past two years no matter the experience are bitter or sweet.

I'm now at the point where I should start to plan my PhD timetable. There was a period of time I'm obsessed of getting a second master degree from UM. Most of you would ask "if you can have a PhD degree why do you need a master?". The reason is obvious if you have carefully read this article -- I always want to quit my PhD life and find a job in industry. Once you get your PhD, the available job positions decrease! Most companies hire more master than PhD employees because they don't want to pay that much.

I thought a lot and I found getting a second master may be the only soultion to this dilemma. However, the rule of EE department prohibits me to get a second master. I started to seek other possible choices such as BME, IOE Dept. ...etc. After carefully considering all conditions, most of my friends think it's just a waste of time by getting a second master. Till now, I am not fully agree with them, however, I think I find my way for the next few years- "Devote more time to my research thus I can get out of here sooner"

Hopefully, this would be my last time thinking about this. No hesitate, no doubt, just look ahead and imagine the day I graduate as a PhD wearing UM PhD attire and walk with pride around campus!

2 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It lets me feel confused. so...are u going to get as a Master degree instead of a PHD degree?

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Galen said...

Nope, I give up that thought. I decided to hang in there and finish my PhD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home